Sunday 30 March 2014

Sixties Shoes

April 2013

I know, I know, I'm not technically focusing on a whole outfit today. However, these bad boys deserve a post of their own. Capturing the 'sole' (forgive me, but it had to be done) of the Swinging Sixties, these shoes are a staple in my vintage wardrobe. I tend to stick to the forties, or the thirties, because I like the practicality and the comfort these clothes offer at the same time as being wonderfully glamorous. There's something about the sixties, with the mini dresses and the knee high boots, that I've never really been comfortable with. 

This is why I'm keeping it simple, and focusing on a pair of shoes. The monochromatic style is reminiscent of David Bailey photographs, and oh so fashionable check print. Chic and understated, they work perfectly with a mini dress.


The point of this post, however, is this. I'm not good at working the Sixties look. There is one simple explanation for this, and it's a sad truth. I don't look like Twiggy. Rather, I'm quite the opposite. Women with curves aren't going to suit boxy shift dresses and knee high white boots. It's just not going to happen. Give us pinched in waists and blouses any day of the week. But that doesn't mean you can't capture the essence with one simple, statement piece of clothing. Be it a checked scarf casually flung round your neck, a pair of oversized circular sunglasses, or a pair of fantastic monochrome shoes that have you shuffling around the room in time to The Beatles. You can make it work. 

Here's a photo of these shoes in action. And a cat. 



Shoes - a bargain in the Office sale. Cat - found in a Devonshire village. Unfortunately couldn't keep it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment